Madawaska-Victoria Heritage

Madawaska Victoria Museum Network
<    July 2019    >
SMTWTFS
123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031
 

Religious heritage

Saint-Léonard-de-Port-Maurice Parish (Saint-Léonard)
Address : 668, Principale street Saint-Léonard, NB E7E 2H6
Phone : (506) 423-6417
Email : pstl@aernet.ca
External website : http://www.diocese-edmundston.ca/fr/zp_st-leonard.html
Internal Page : http://patrimoinemadvic.com/en/religieux.php?cat=Saint-Léonard-de-Port-Maurice-Parish-(Saint-Léonard)
Description :
On September 27th, 1915, the priest of Saint-Léonard-Parent, abbot Antoine Comeau, organizes a new mission, which becomes the city of Saint-Léonard in 1920. Even though the city is independent on many aspects, it is not on the religious aspects. It is only on August 10th 1924 that Saint-Léonard-Ville becomes officially a distinct parish under the name "Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue de Saint-Léonard-Ville" . Abbot Antoine Comeau is its first priest.

On August 2nd, 1947, Mgr Marie-Antoine Roy announces that Saint-Léonard-Ville would have Saint-Léonard-de-Port-Maurice as a patron saint. As to Saint-Léonard-Parent, it would be Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue. The bishop justifies its decision by noting that the train station and post office are named after Saint-Léonard